May 25, 2016 by Christina Hirsch (Repost from Parkways Blog)
National Trails Day is Saturday, June 4, and Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) invites everyone to lace up their shoes and celebrate by taking a walk on the many miles of trails found in Seattle’s park system.
“Access to invigorating ways to enjoy nature is key to any great city’s livability. And Seattle Parks and Recreation is blessed with over 6,300 acres of parkland, including more than 100 miles of trails,” said SPR Superintendent Jesús Aguirre. “National Trails Day is a time for Seattleites to celebrate their trails through recreation and restoration, and to enjoy the health benefits—both physical and mental—of time spent outdoors.”
This year, SPR is partnering with Totago, a mobile app designed to get people outdoors, and with the Seattle Trails Alliance to encourage Seattleites to take public transit to hike in local parks. See below for information on joining a hike on June 4, including a hosted hike at Carkeek Park led by SPR and the Totago team, and self-led hikes at Discovery Park, Seward Park, Ravenna Park and Lincoln Park.
- Carkeek Park Hike: This event will be hosted and led by SPR and the Totago team. Visit one of the gems of the Seattle park system with a hike along a beautiful ravine leading to amazing views of Puget Sound. https://www.totago.co/app#/event/7
- Discovery Park Hike: Join other community members for a self-led hike of Discovery Park. With seven miles of trails on 534 acres, Discovery Park offers some of the best in-city hiking in Seattle. https://www.totago.co/app#/event/8
- Seward Park Hike: Join other community members for a self-led hike of Seward Park. Hike a loop that follows the water’s edge on a smooth, paved trail at this forested park in southeast Seattle. https://www.totago.co/app#/event/11
- Ravenna Park Hike: Join other community members for a self-led hike of Ravenna Park. Comprised of a wooded ravine just north of the University District, Ravenna Park is a popular spot for hiking. https://www.totago.co/app#/event/10
- Lincoln Park Hike: Join other community members for a self-led hike of Lincoln Park. Located on a bluff overlooking Puget Sound, Lincoln Park has 4.6 miles of walking paths. https://www.totago.co/app#/event/9
SPR encourages Seattleites to get out and explore the trails in their neighborhood and to tell others by using the hashtag #SEATRAILS on Twitter.
– See more at: http://parkways.seattle.gov/2016/05/25/celebrate-national-trails-day-on-june-4/#sthash.XoQTDTPP.dpuf